The Sojourner’s Sunday School class organizes a meal on third Thursday of every month at Urban Ministries, a homeless shelter that serves Durham’s citizens. The core of the group is from the Sojourners class, but we receive help from others in the church. In addition to providing a meal to people (usually 200+), we have a chance to get to know each other better. If you can make it on a Thursday night, please sign up for one of the shifts via a web-based list.
- We have two shifts, one to prepare the food and one to serve the meal.
- The first shift meets at 5 p.m. and is usually finished by 6:00 or 6:15.
- The second shift comes arrives at 6:00 p.m. and stays until 8:00 when the serving line closes for the evening.
- Both shifts meet at Urban Ministries, at the corner of Liberty and Queen, right across the street from the Channel 11 TV station.
- Come for whichever shift works better for you (or both if you’re really motivated!).
Head east on Main Street through downtown Durham. Turn left on Roxboro St. Make the first right onto Liberty St. just before the downtown library. Go one block and you’ll be at the corner of Liberty & Queen. Urban Ministries is on the right. Park on the street or in the small lot behind the building. Come to the back door and ring the doorbell and someone will let you in. If in doubt, ask someone in the area, they’ll likely know which door is for the kitchen.
For more information, contact Greg Palmer.