Building Planning Group: Working Document
Review information from the recent congregational meeting for relevant information and comments and prepare a summary of the most important points for the congregation
The following appears to be the key issues/comments:
- Appears the church makes effective use of the space we have (to include outside groups)
- Although the facility is functional, need to focus on maintaining what we have (some areas look shabby and/or need renovation)
- Grounds and the new playground look good
- Need to plan for future major expenses
- Need a more suitable fellowship hall
- The historical building and location are special
- Need a new/renovated kitchen
- Should look at expanding the use of our facilities (child care facilities?)
- Need to improve appearance to make it more appealing to visitors, etc.
- Need to look a long range vision focused on growth
• Compile a complete inventory of the work of existing committees or staff with responsibilities for our building, including
o Long Range Planning Committee materials
o Building and Grounds Committee materials
o Office manager (particularly with respect to outside group usage of the building)
– Building and Grounds is providing a list of significant operations and maintenance Issues (to be attached)
o Roof repairs
o HVAC replacement/repairs
o Other items (listing to be attached)
– Long Range Planning Committee is working on
o Obtaining a potential site growth plan – estimated $15,000
o Obtaining a vendor to repair the Good Shepard window – estimated $172,000 (over $90,000 already in a Restricted Account)
o Creating a space inventory
– Staff and Office Manger
• Develop a comprehensive building status report, describing the current usage of the building, the current maintenance and property preservation challenges, and opportunities for building expansion
– An analysis will be attached based on the listings above.
– A discussion on budgeting for operations and maintenance focused on basing the required amount on projected need as opposed to a recurring fixed amount. Additionally, a contingency amount should be available for large unexpected large repairs/purchases. Use of the funds should be available with minimal process to accommodate for emergency situations.
– A review and measure of the space usage is being developed.
• Evaluate the cost for any building initiatives other than normal maintenance and establish a priority list
– In development.
– Major items include Good Shepard Window, roof and other leaks, possible new HVAC systems
– Future growth plans: estimate $5,000 to develop a site plan for potential growth
– Repurposing of current facility (To be determined)
– Note that Jennifer Martin has a connection with the NC Historic Preservation Office who may be able to assist in our efforts – Jennifer is inquiring for us.
• Provide information to the steering committee for distribution to the congregation including (but not limited to) monthly status updates, meeting minutes, and meeting times
– We currently plan to meet at the church every two weeks.
• Coordinate with the steering committee on what congregational input is desired
• Support steering committee in conducting a survey, meeting(s), soliciting comments, etc
Items for consideration in developing ideas:
– processes/procedures (how the system of facility management works and levels of expectations)
– technology (the means to control the systems, and the systems to track the scheduled and unscheduled work)
– infrastructure (what we have now and its condition, and what we could/should develop in the future)
– people (current roles and possible future needs)